All hell will break loose in our lives. It’s gonna’ happen, perhaps multiple times. That’s just fact. So the goal isn’t so much exhaustive prevention, as it is damage control – somehow keeping our world intact. Let’s take a look at 10 ways we can do just that…
Stay away from prognosticating on how you’ll feel in, say, two weeks – based upon how you feel now. Pretty sure you won’t like it.
Right after seeing the bounced check notification, you eyeball the email from H.R. announcing imminent layoffs.
“OMG!” All hell has officially broken loose.
Dang, life was already too tough. And now you wonder if curling-up in a ball and rolling-away would be your best option.
Tempting, isn’t it?
I’m telling you, I’ve been smack-dab in the middle of all hell breaking loose. And it’s about as hopeless, helpless, cold, and lonely a feeling as one could conjure-up.
Hey, I’ll go you one better. I’m writing this piece in the midst of a good bit of hell breaking loose. I mean, why else would I have turned to dusting-up an article I wrote some five years ago?
Fact is, I’m a few jars of jam short in the creativity cupboard; yet it’s my responsibility to bring you helpful content regardless of what’s cookin’ in my kitchen. Working with this particular content brings me perspective and support, and gives me an opportunity to improve it for the both of us.
Yada, yada, yada – ’nuff said. I bring you…
10 Ways to Keep Our World Intact When All Hell Breaks Loose
- Don’t expect to feel warm and fuzzy. And dump that “everything’s okay” look and attitude. Everything isn’t okay, and every bit of your mind and body are filling you in. That said, isn’t how you’re feeling – “normal?”
- Are you thinking about solving each and every issue before bedtime? Not only will you fail, you’ll implode. Leave it at taking on just one and seeing what impact you can realistically make.
- Separate your circumstances from your personal identity. Never forget how powerful our inboard “butt-kicking” mechanisms are. Really – this has nothing to do with who you are.
- Stay away from prognosticating on how you’ll feel in, say, two weeks – based upon how you feel now. Pretty sure you won’t like it.
- Seek counsel and support, especially if you’re feeling deeply insecure and/or unsafe. Don’t have anyone reliable in your corner? Okay, call a crisis line or even that house of worship you drive-by multiple times a day. And while you’re at it, stay away from folk who’ve proven unreliable or who don’t have your best interest at heart.
- Do not turn to substances for relief. May seem like the thing to do, but every time you dodge a growth opportunity (and that’s what this is), the reality of positive change fizzles. Besides, this isn’t the time for iffy judgment.
- Skip the “24/7 indoors” thing. Get out-and-about, even if you have nowhere to go. And if you’re not up to driving, find someone who is – or take a walk.
- Don’t push away those you care about, and who care about you. As much as isolation may feel natural, you’re only shooting yourself in the foot.
- Please don’t believe this is the end of the line for you. Millions have endured the same and made it out. What makes you think they’re more savvy (and deserving) than you?
- This from a Chipur reader who’s endured her share of tough times – You just gotta’ hold on, listen to your little voice, and somehow it always eventually gets better. You say, ”Next time I will remember that it does get better and I’ll have more faith. Maybe I’ll end up blown apart but I’ll be wiser and have more compassion for myself, poor little kid, me.”
Bottom-line – I don’t care how cooked you may think your goose is, it ain’t over ’til you say it’s over. You can do this.
That’s All (Folks)
Again, all hell will break loose in our lives. That’s just the way the paint peels.
Would I recommend we do all we can to prevent cataclysms? Sure, why not? But for my dough it’s more about skillful post-event management from the bunker. That’s how we keep our world intact.
Hey, I brought you 10 ways to pull it off. Would you share more in a comment? Ty.
Need some additional direction and support when all hell breaks loose? Consider a consultation.
637 Chipur articles stand ready to help. Hit the titles.