“This just isn’t right. Life is givin’ me a lickin’. How can something that’s supposed to be a gift be so dark and unfair? I could sure use some help here.”
No doubt about it, life can definitely be dark and very unfair. Fact is, the sooner we come to understand that, the sooner we’ll have a shot at lasting peace of mind – not to mention ongoing personal growth.
“But I endure a mood and anxiety disorder, so my circumstances are worse!” Oh, that may be the case. But the challenge is the same for everyone – accepting, confronting, and overcoming.
The face-slapping reality that life can be dark and unfair, then, isn’t front page news. The real lead story is how we’ll move forward (and that, by the way, is a matter of choice).
Glimmers of Hope
In finding reasons to continue to try, it’s often helpful to read what someone else has to say about tough circumstances. Yeah, I know – talk can be cheap. But I’d like to present some glimmers of hope I believe you’ll find meaningful, inspirational, and motivational…
First, a verse from Rudyard Kipling’s 1895 poem, “If-” (often voted by Brits as their favorite poem)…
If you can dream – and not make dreams your master;
If you can think – and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools
And how ’bout a dozen glimmers from me, based upon my life experience…
- Take comfort in constants. You may feel dark and cold, but the rest of the world hasn’t changed.
- The day after the very worst of days often brings stunningly positive developments.
- The darkness and unfairness of life is permanent – only if you refuse to take action.
- Hope is like the sun rising and setting. Without regard to you, it happens.
- Answers are always there, though not always immediate and clear.
- Knee-jerk running for emotional and mental cover doesn’t work.
- It’s never over until you say it’s over.
- Don’t ever underestimate the miraculous power of reason and changing how you think.
- Living in yesterday eliminates tomorrows.
- Something marvelous was about to occur – until you threw in the towel.
- Rumination is ruination.
- Anybody can cruise through the good times. Give me someone who’s fought for their sanity and survival.
Yes, life can be dark and unfair. Expect it! And when those times come, accept, confront, and overcome. And grab some glimmers of hope.
Works every time…
image credit: capetownskies.com
More chipur Feelin’ Better articles? Tap right here.