“Okay, Bill, I’ve heard the expression ‘desperate times call for desperate measures.’ And I gotta’ tell ya’, I’m strongly buying in. Any ideas?”
In the midst of the most desperate of times, all can sure seem to be so very wrong. And it’s at that point we may throw composure to the curb, and in some manner run (and hide) like the dickens.
“Desperate times call for desperate measures?” Oh, I suppose the expression holds water if an 18-wheeler is coming at us at 70 miles-an-hour. Short of that, how ’bout we show the expression the door?
Listen, is it really that big of a surprise that we’ll face times of great desperation? No! And naturally we’ll believe all hope is surely gone.
Well, I’m going to crawl out on a limb and suggest such times are actually the very dawning of hope. But that’s only if they’re managed well.
So in anticipation of the next dance with desperate times (the music will no doubt be playing), let’s partner-up with…
10 Ways to Keep It Together During Desperate Times
- Think long and hard. Could this be a final settling of accounts? Perhaps the chickens have come home to roost and we’ll finally make things right.
- Is all the hub-bub being directed by our personal god (God)? And if we don’t have one, could this be an unexpected introduction?
- It’s time to find and hold onto who we know we are. It may not be believable, but we always have an identity.
- Allow the circumstances, and response, to evolve. It’s about patience and strength.
- Is our situation taking us to people we really need to get close to? Maybe to people we’ve turned away?
- This is our very best possible learning moment and opportunity.
- It may sound cliche, but all sorts of character is being built – right now.
- Know what? The whole mess is very likely not quite as bad as we may think.
- How better to understand, and respond to, the suffering of others.
- It’s crucial to believe (and truly know) we’ll never ever perish.
Just like you, I’ve known desperate times…
We’re talking times when things looked so bleak for so long, that I really wondered if life was worth it. Times when it took every ounce of strength to climb out of bed and face another day. Times when my spiritually barren soul pleaded for some version of a higher power to intervene – and provide comfort. Times when the concept of “tomorrow” wasn’t even conceivable.
Hey! When we find ourselves overwhelmed by desperation, don’t you think it’s time we opted for a fresh mindset and response? I mean, look where our traditional thinking and methodology has gotten us.
So I say hope abounds in desperate times. But only when we’re bold and daring enough to think and feel outside the box – and ask for more from every micro-inch of our being.
“Desperate times call for desperate measures?”
Nah, I don’t think so. How ’bout you?